Wednesday

Mixed Berry Clafouti

Have you ever had or made a Clafouti? In case you are not familiar with a clafouti it is a classic French dessert which resembles a fruit filled sweet frittata. It is a quick dessert that is served warm. You will truly impressed your guest with this one.


This recipe has been in my "to-do" post pile for at least a year if not longer. My friend, Sharon P. posted it on Facebook. She is a good cook. This recipe is from a Schnucks Cooks Magazine.


Mixed Berry Clafouti

Prep 10 minutes
Bake 40 minutes
Standing 10 minutes

Ingredients

1 package (8.8 oz) strawberries (2 cups) or 2 cups of fresh peaches (or a combo)
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 package (6 oz) blackberries
3 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur (ie. triple sec or Grand Marnier) OR orange juice
2 tablespoons unsalted melted butter
powdered sugar

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 9 1/2-to 10-inch deep-dish glass or ceramic pie plate with a little butter. Wash, hull, and cut strawberries in half or quarters (if they are large). Toss strawberries with the cornstarch and arrange in the dish, cut side down. Sprinkle blackberries over and around the strawberries.
2. In a blender, puree eggs, milk, flour, sugar, liquour/orange juice, and melted butter until smooth. Pour over berries. Bake 40-45 minutes or until top is golden and center is set. Let stand 10 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar and serve warm.

Good for dessert or breakfast.

My Changes: I substituted 2/3 cup fat-free condensed milk and 1/3 cup regular fat-free milk for the whole milk. I used vanilla sugar for the granulated sugar (either get vanilla sugar at Penzey's or make some by putting a vanilla bean--or vanilla bean hull-- in granulated sugar to get it vanillia-y). I used fresh squeezed orange juice also. 

My Second Making: Instead of the strawberries, I put in 2 peaches, cut into slices. I added a handful of blueberries with the blackberries. I used fat-free condensed milk for the whole milk, but used a whole cup this time. I used 1/4 cup vanilla sugar instead of 1/3 cup sugar. I used orange juice from the carton this time and whole wheat flour. It wasn't much more dense than before, but was noticably less sweet. It was still tasty.

I didn't try this, but I'm wondering if one could substitute raspberries for the strawberries and use egg substitute for the eggs.

1 comment:

  1. Yum!! These look so delicious!Thanks for the interesting recipe. For more recipe use Cook Book Reviews .

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping in at SusieQTpies Cafe! We are serving up family, food & fun!

Please leave a comment so that I can stop over and visit your blog.

FYI I approve every comment before it is published because of the SPAM issue. Don't be alarmed if you comment doesn't show up immediately.

Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

Blogging tips